Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Gearing up

"Running is a big question mark that's there each and every day. It asks you, 'Are you going to be a wimp or are you going to be strong today?'" - Peter Maher, Canadian marathon runner

Yes, Peter, that is an excellent question. Every day when I get home from work, that is what it boils down to. Running on the weekend is no problem - I can log my long run and usually another short run without too many problems. But on the four days I work (10 hrs/day), 90% of the time the last thing I want to do is work out. That's why I love doing personal training - it forces me to work out twice a week. I've realized that training for any sort of race is hell for a procrastinator like me - I kick my own ass the few weeks before I have a race, but four months out its SO hard. When I get home kickin' back on my couch, crafting a delicious meal, or doing something else fun are so much more appealing that running 2 or 3 miles. Because it's only 2 or 3 miles, right? I mean, how much of a difference can that make? Answer: ALOT when you slack off for a few weeks.

I'm pretty sure the only solution to this problem, at least for me, is to sign up frequently for races. That's why I'm running the Mercer Island 10K March 22 - that will keep me right on track to finish the half marathon at the end of June.



And interesting randomness for today:

This shit is crazy. I'm all for having healthy, active kids, but this is not cool.

Very insightful Top Chef chart ranking all of the contestents and showing who REALLY is the best. If you don't watch this show, you lose.

Morbidly obese but afraid of weight loss surgery? Well now you can have the procedure done through one of your "natural orifices!" Does this creep anyone else out as much as it does me?

No comments:

Post a Comment